How Rihanna's Plane Stunt Spawned Sales
Rihanna's promo tour for her seventh album, Unapologetic -- during which the singer traveled to seven countries in seven nights in a chartered 777 jet carrying 265 journalists and fans -- brought press stunts to new, er, heights. Even though planes repeatedly were delayed and journalists complained about limited access to the songstress (some handed out "Missing: Rihanna" fliers and chanted, "Save our jobs!"), the air adventure generated 1 billion media impressions, according to label Island Def Jam. But will the pricey tour pay off? Unapologetic's first single, "Diamonds," reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 the morning after the tour wrapped Nov. 20, her 12th career chart-topper. However, Rihanna never has had an album top the Billboard 200, and IDJ hopes Unapologetic will be the first when SoundScan numbers are released Nov. 28. Early estimates point to a 225,000-plus week, her best showing to date. Says IDJ president and COO Steve Bartels, "I can tell you from firsthand experience that no one works harder, and has more fun doing it, than Rihanna."
BY THE NUMBERS
- 14,000: Miles traveled, including to Mexico City, Stockholm, Berlin and Paris
- $3 Million: Fines for flights delayed on tarmacs because of the singer's chronic tardiness.
- 70: Cases of Rihana fave Ace of Spades champagne on board.
- 15: Duffel bags of clothes Rihanna traveled with, according to reports.
- 3.5: Average number of hours, insiders say, journalists slept a night.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack