How to Rock a Beard Like a Rockstar
Stylist Vaughn Acord, the man behind the cool whiskers of Bruce Springsteen and Lenny Kravitz, shares the products and tips behind music's sexiest bristles
JOHN LEGEND: Scruff
"This one- to two-day shadow is relaxed, but John could still put on a crisp white shirt and do a formal interview," says Acord, who notes that men with oblong faces wear this look best. Once you've shaved, massage a conditioning oil or wax into the skin so it stays moisturized and blemish-free."
1. Tom Ford conditioning beard oil, $50; tomford.com.
2. Mr. Natty Mr. Willie Mack's all-over wax, $45; mrnatty.com.
LENNY KRAVITZ: Medium
"Even though Lenny's look is characterized by defined lines, it also looks natural," Acord says of the style best-suited for men with rounder face shapes. "To prevent the lines of the beard from looking too sharp, opt for tweezers instead of a razor to tackle stray hairs."
3. V76 clean shave hydrating gel cream, $28; v76.com.
4. The Art of Shaving tweezers, $10; theartofshaving.com.
JARED LETO: Full-On
"It's like a lion — very masculine and proud," says Acord of this overgrown style. "It should look lived-in, but never neglected." To prevent dandruff from ruining the vibe, a hydrating beard shampoo is a must. And like the hair on top of your head, give your beard a trim when it starts to lose its shape.
5. Billy Jealousy beard wash, $20; billyjealousy.com.
6. Zeus beard brush, $10, Birchbox subscription, $20 per month; birchbox.com.
This story first appeared in the Nov. 8 issue of the Billboard magazine.