PTC Accuses NBC of Tossing 'Principles Out the Window' With Howard Stern Hire
The TV watchdog group says adding the shock jock to "America's Got Talent" is "an act of desperation."
The Parents Television Council (PTC) is accusing NBC of tossing its principles "out the window" by hiring Howard Stern as an America's Got Talent judge.
Stern announced he was joining the competition Thursday on his Sirius XM Radio show. He replaces Piers Morgan, who revealed in early Nov. that he was exiting the program to focus on his duties at CNN.
PTC president Tim Winter said in a statement, "In an act of desperation for a flailing network, NBC has hired Howard Stern -- a performer who is synonymous with shock, profanity and obscenity -- as a judge on a prime-time talent competition. Not coincidentally, in just over three weeks the network will be standing before the United States Supreme Court arguing for the right to use the F-word at any time of the day, even in front of children.
“The once-proud broadcast network has lost its way and has made it clear it holds no concern whatsoever for children and families. It also risks losing millions in advertising dollars. Whatever principles NBC had in the past, when the network was successful, have clearly gone out the window.”
NBC's president of alternative and late night Paul Telegdy, meanwhile, tweeted Thursday, “Howard Stern’s larger-than-life personality will bring a thrilling new dynamic to America’s Got Talent starting this summer."
Stern said he will start shooting in February and travel the country for the audition rounds. The show's live airings will move to New York where Stern is based.
Earlier this year, the TV watchdog group lobbied against NBC's Playboy Club, calling on its members and others to contact local NBC affiliates, and asking advertisers whether the Playboy brand aligns with their corporate image. When the show was canceled in Oct., the PTC said, "We’re pleased that NBC will no longer be airing a program so inherently linked to a pornographic brand that denigrates and sexualizes women."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!