Hugh Hefner Responds on Twitter to Ricky Gervais Insults
The comedian joked about the 84-year-old's age and his decision to marry a woman 60 years his junior at Sunday's Golden Globes.
On Sunday night, after praising the AMC show The Walking Dead, Gervais quipped, "Talking of the walking dead, congratulations to Hugh Hefner, who is getting married at age 84 to 24-year-old beauty Crystal Harris. When asked why she was marrying him, she said, 'He lied about his age. I thought he was 94.' Calm down; just don't look at it when you touch it," Gervais added, complete with helpful suggestive gestures.
But Hefner seemed to take it all in stride, tweeting late Sunday that "the Golden Globes was a blast. They made fun of everyone, including Crystal & me. A great night."
When asked by one of his Twitter followers whether he was offended, the Playboy mogul replied: "I'm used to cheap shots. ... It goes with the territory."
Hefner did go on to make a statement about age-related barbs.
"It's ironic that living with 3 young girls prompted a hit TV show, but marrying one prompts humor," he tweeted. "Age is still just a number. ... Jokes about age will begin to seem lame as we all begin to live longer, fuller lives."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR