Hugh Jackman Reveals 'Les Miserables' Workout Regimen
The actor spent three hours in the gym every day on a no carbohydrate diet to obtain Jean Valjean's lean physique.
Hugh Jackman is no stranger to getting his body lean and mean for the screen.
In the case of Les Miserables though, the Aussie actor had to undergo an arduous training process in order to portray Jean Valjean as a gaunt prisoner in the opening act of Tom Hooper's movie musical.
Speaking to Vulture, Jackman reveals his workout regimen, saying, "Weirdly, this was almost more physical in a way than an X-Men movie! I was spending even longer in the gym -- like three hours in the gym -- because I needed to be as emaciated as possible, but still keep some muscle on for Jean Valjean. He's actually written as an ox of a man, so I had to eat seven times a day with no carbohydrates, but then you had the exercise. I'd wake up and do 45 minutes of [cardio] on an empty stomach, eat something, go to the gym, do a vocal warm-up, and then after lunch I'd go back to the gym again. Otherwise, I'd just become skin and bones."
Fortunately, the Tony Award-winner has gotten back to his fighting weight as he prepares to don the claws once again in The Wolverine.
Speaking to 60 Minutes' Scott Pelley recently to promote Les Miz, Jackman revealed a massively muscular physique and took the correspondent through one of his workouts.
Les Miserables is currently in theaters and The Wolverine is scheduled for release July 26, 2013.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR