Hugh Jackman's 'The Wolverine' Set for August Shoot in Australia
Jackman will reprise his role as the 'X-Men' mutant in the $80 million production
SYDNEY -- Fox’s The Wolverine is set for an August shoot in star Hugh Jackman’s hometown of Sydney, New South Wales Deputy Premier Andrew Stoner said here Friday.
While the sixth film in the X-Men franchise is set in Japan, Fox Studios Australia will host the production, with funding assistance from the Aussie government.
James Mangold is on board to direct the pic, with the X-Men Origins: Wolverine production team of Lauren Shuler Donner, Jackman and John Palermo back on board.
The $80 million production will create more than 720 jobs for NSW-based cast and crew, along with opportunities for as many as 1,200 extras, according to Stoner. The bulk of the film's postproduction will be done in the U.S., assisted by Australia-based companies.
"I couldn't be more excited to return to Australia to film the next chapter in the Wolverine saga, thanks to the significant support from the federal and NSW governments,” Jackman said. “It will be great to work with the highly talented crew and to provide employment opportunities to so many people across all levels of the industry. Not to mention, [wife] Deb and I will get to spend some time with the family back in Australia."
Added Stoner, "It is a testament to our screen industry that Hugh Jackman and his team have chosen to come back to Australia after such a positive experience making the X-Men Origins."
Securing the Wolverine shoot is a boost for the production sector here after the cancellation of Alex Proyas’ planned epic Paradise Lost and the decision by 20th Television not to move ahead with a second season of Terra Nova, which was made in Queensland.
Stuart Beattie’s I, Frankenstein is in production in Victoria, Animal Logic is ramping up production on the digital features Lego and Walking With Dinosaurs, and Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby is in postproduction.
Proyas is set to direct The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag here later this year.
The Wolverine is slated for release in July 2013.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)