Hulu Plus Subscription Service Adds BBC Worldwide Content in Multiyear Deal
The agreement boosts the amount of premium British content on the service with such hit shows as "Doctor Who," "Top Gear," "Sherlock" and classics like "Fawlty Towers."
LONDON – BBC Worldwide North America and Hulu on Wednesday unveiled a nonexclusive, multiyear agreement that will make current hit shows and classic series available to U.S. users of the Hulu Plus subscription service.
Financial details of the agreement weren't disclosed. It is the online video joint venture's first major programming deal since owners Walt Disney and 21st Century Fox took Hulu off the auction block earlier this year.
Comcast/NBCUniversal is a passive shareholder in Hulu.
The agreement covers such hit shows as Doctor Who, Top Gear, Sherlock and Luther; TV classics such as Fawlty Towers and Blackadder; and natural history shows, including selections from David Attenborough's The Life series.
"Hulu Plus has offered a broad variety of top U.K. programming since its launch, and this agreement makes the subscription service one of the premier destinations in the U.S. for premium British content," Hulu said. "Beginning today, subscribers can start enjoying one of the widest online offerings of the acclaimed Doctor Who series, now celebrating its 50th anniversary, in addition to its popular spinoffs The Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood, as well as natural history and factual programming including Blue Planet, Richard Hammond's Crash Course, and many more."
BBC Worldwide is the commercial arm of U.K. public broadcaster BBC. It licenses BBC and other shows outside the U.K.
Overall, Hulu Plus subscribers will get access to more than 2,000 episodes of new and landmark BBC Worldwide titles. A selection of BBC Worldwide library programs will also rotate through the free Hulu.com service.
"Hulu has enjoyed a strong collaboration with BBC Worldwide North America, from international co-productions to breakthrough exclusive shows that have been embraced in the U.S. by extremely passionate audiences," said Andy Forssell, acting CEO of Hulu. "By adding this expansive collection of premium BBC Worldwide programming, Hulu Plus solidifies its role as a top streaming platform for the best British programming available in the U.S."
Said Matt Forde, executive vp sales and co-productions: "With this exciting deal we hope the Hulu audience will continue to enjoy the shows they already love while discovering new gems to experience."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack