'The Hunger Games' to Get 3 A.M. Showings on Imax Screens
Nap now: the big-screen exhibitor reports midnight sell-outs have led some of its theaters to schedule additional showings of the teen tentpole into the dawn hours.
TORONTO – Lionsgate's The Hunger Games is going into the wee hours at Imax.
Imax on Wednesday said it plans 3 a.m. showings of the teen tentpole, which will be released on 289 of its digital screens from March 23.
“With two weeks to go, we have seen substantial midnight sellouts in Imax theatres across the country, leading exhibitors to begin offering 3 a.m. shows to meet demand," Greg Foster, president of Imax Filmed Entertainment, reported Wednesday.
Imax plans a limited one-week engagement for Hunger Games, which will go out on 270 domestic screens, simultaneous with the film's North American wide release, and another 19 Imax theatres in the UK and France.
If fans of the popular Suzanne Collins book series meet tracking estimates and make the $90 million movie a box office hit for Lionsgate, then Imax should be in line for additional cycles of the Hunger Games with planned sequels.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Experience The Controlled Chaos Behind Cuba Gooding Jr.'s 1997 Oscars Acceptance Speech
- John Gallagher Jr. On The Upcoming Final Season Of 'The Newsroom'
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Gedeon Luke Keeps the Soul Train Moving ; Viv and the Revival Breaks Your Heart
- Comcast To Charge Insane Amount For A Single Season Of 'House Of Cards'