'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Named Fandango's Most-Anticipated Film of 2014
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1, the third film in the megahit YA franchise, tops Fandango's list of most-anticipated movies of 2014.
The movie site revealed its list of the top five most-anticipated films for the coming year, based on votes from thousands of users. Following the Lionsgate film were The Hobbit: There and Back Again, X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Divergent.
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire topped Fandango's 2012 most-anticipated movies list. It went on to become the top-selling movie in Fandango history, surpassing the previous record-holder, Avatar. The film -- starring Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson -- was a box office smash when it opened in the U.S. in November, earning $158.1 million in its domestic debut to set a new November opening record (Twilight: New Moon held the previous record at $142.8 million). The following weekend -- Thanksgiving -- Catching Fire earned $110 million over five days, and $74.5 million of that during the traditional weekend frame, setting a new record for both the three-day and five-day Thanksgiving weekend. It has earned a stunning $765.3 million worldwide to date.
Mockingjay -- Part 1, the third of four films based on Suzanne Collins' popular YA novels, will hit theaters Nov. 21, 2014. Mockingjay -- Part 2 will follow one year later, Nov. 20, 2015.
Fandango also released survey results for the biggest female and male breakout movie stars for 2014, Kate Upton and Aaron Paul, respectively. Upton will have her first major lead in The Other Woman, which also stars Cameron Diaz and Leslie Mann, while Paul -- known for his role on TV's Breaking Bad -- will star in the racing pic Need for Speed.
Fandago's poll on who would be the sexiest woman and man in film in 2014 was topped by Hunger Games star Lawrence and Ryan Gosling, who will appear in the upcoming, as-yet-untitled Terrence Malick project that is set against the Austin music scene.
Finally, the movie site's poll about the most-anticipated family film was topped by How to Train Your Dragon 2, which will hit theaters in June.
Below is Fandango's complete list:
Most-Anticipated 2014 Movie:
1. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1
2. The Hobbit: There and Back Again
3. X-Men: Days of Future Past
4. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Biggest Male Breakout Movie Star, 2014:
1. Aaron Paul (Exodus, Need for Speed)
2. Joel Kinnaman (RoboCop)
3. Theo James (Divergent)
4. Sullivan Stapleton (300: Rise of an Empire)
5. Dane DeHaan (The Amazing Spider-Man 2)
Biggest Female Breakout Movie Star, 2014:
1. Kate Upton (The Other Woman)
2. Dakota Johnson (Need for Speed)
3. Emily Ratajkowski (Gone Girl)
4. Nicola Peltz (Transformers: Age of Extinction)
5. Tika Sumpter (Ride Along, Get on Up)
Sexiest Woman in the Movies, 2014:
1. Jennifer Lawrence (Mockingjay – Part 1, X Men: Days of Future Past)
2. Mila Kunis (Jupiter Ascending, Angriest Man in Brooklyn)
3. Jessica Alba (Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, Stretch)
4. Angelina Jolie (Maleficent)
5. Halle Berry (X-Men: Days of Future Past)
Sexiest Man in the Movies, 2014:
1. Ryan Gosling (untitled Terrence Malick project)
2. Channing Tatum (22 Jump Street, Jupiter Ascending)
3. Bradley Cooper (Serena, untitled Cameron Crowe project)
4. Robert Downey, Jr. (The Judge)
5. George Clooney (The Monuments Men)
Most-Anticipated Family Film:
1. How to Train Your Dragon 2
3. Muppets Most Wanted
4. The Lego Movie
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles