'Hunger Games' Set For Big Opening Weekend Down Under
March 22 Australian release on track to better “Twilight New Moon” opening.
SYDNEY – Local distributor Roadshow Films is looking to a strong opening weekend for The Hunger Games when its released in Australia at midnight on March 22 here – March 21 in local U.S. time - after reporting sell-outs in advanced ticket sales.
Gino Munari, Village Cinemas general manager – programming, said that as of last week sales are tracking ahead of the second Twilight film, which in 2009 recorded the second biggest opening weekend of all time in this market with AUS$16.01 million ($15 million).
“Early ticket sales across the Village circuit leaves me with no doubt that The Hunger Games is fast shaping-up as one of the hottest films of the year,” Munari said.
“We are thrilled with the strong early ticket sales for the first sessions of The Hunger Games in all of our major locations. We will have sell-out midnight and opening weekend sessions around the country, especially in [premium venues] Vmax and Gold Class,” Chris McGlinn, director of marketing at Event Cinemas added.
According to Roadshow, with many sessions already sold out, exhibitors are continuing to add more sessions in response to customer demand.
The Australian première of the much anticipated feature is set for Tuesday March 20 with local press speculating that several of the films stars including local boy, Liam Hemsworth, will attend.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR