Hurricane Irene’s Death Toll Rises According to Latest News Coverage
The AP, NPR, ABC News and BBC are among outlets confirming that the storm, which has caused flooding throughout the East Coast, claimed 40 victims so far.
In the wake of the weekend’s hurricane, flooding throughout parts of the East Coast has become a serious issue, riaising the storm’s death toll to 40.
The destruction spans seven states, with Vermont experiencing the worst flooding in 14 years, ABC News reports. Fifteen Irene-related deaths have been reported in the New York tristate area, seven in New Jersey, six in New York and two in Connecticut. North Carolina has also recored six deaths. CNN reports that 3.3 million people are still without power.
On Monday, Newark, N.J. Mayor, Cory Booker appeared on Piers Morgan Tonight to discuss the damage his city has suffered. When asked if he thought the media’s coverage of the storm had been overhyped, Booker quoted rapper Jay-Z’s “99 Problems” saying “For us, still in the trenches trying to help people out, there’s a song that goes, ‘I’ve got 99 problems’ and that’s not one.”
The Weather Channel’s extensive coverage of the storm gave it a Friday night ratings win. It ranked number one in both viewers (an average of 2.45 million tuned in) and the 25-54 demographic among cable channels.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David