'Hurt Locker' Lawsuit Dismissed, Mark Boal and Kathryn Bigelow React
Following accusations of using a soldier's likeness for the Oscar-winning film, a U.S. District Judged threw out the lawsuit.
Two years after the release of The Hurt Locker, a lawsuit against the Oscar-winning film-makers has been dismissed by U.S. District Judge Jaqueline Nguyen.
Sergeant Jeffrey Sarver had accused the film of improperly using his likeness, claiming Jeremy Renner's lead character was based off of him.
"The Hurt Locker was inspired by many soldiers I met and interviewed during my time reporting in Iraq and elsewhere," said screenwriter and producer Mark Boal in a statement. "It was a disservice to all of those other soldiers for Sgt. Sarver to claim that he was the only soldier that was the basis for the hero of the film. I am glad that the Court has decided to dismiss the lawsuit.”
Jeremiah Reynolds, the attorney of Boal and the film's director Kathryn Bigelow, also chimed in. “Judge Nguyen found that Sgt. Sarver’s claims were meritless and completely barred by the First Amendment," he says. "Her ruling is a huge victory for all filmmakers who should feel comfortable using real life events as inspiration for their films. No artist should ever be forced to create entire fictional worlds that have no basis in reality simply because they fear the threat of meritless lawsuits.”
The Hurt Locker won 6 Academy Awards in 2010, including Best Picture, Best Achievement in Directing for Bigelow and Original Screenplay for Boal.
Sgt. Sarver has been ordered to pay the filmmakers' attorney fees.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Michelle Obama Hosts Women in Soul Event, President Barack Obama Flubs Spelling of Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!