IATSE Strikes TNT’s ‘Great Escape’ Reality Show
The network’s first unscripted competition show, from the producers of ‘The Amazing Race,’ gets stuck in a dispute with the union.
It looks like there’s no escape from an IATSE picket line for The Great Escape, a new TNT reality show about ordinary people facing extraordinary challenges. The feet hit the street Saturday morning, with a strike declared just hours after IATSE labeled the show’s producer, Profiles Entertainment, an unfair employer for allegedly obstructing the union’s organizing efforts.
The IATSE statement did not describe what the producers had done, and the company could not immediately be reached. IATSE represents TV and motion picture crew members.
The Great Escape,TNT’s first unscripted-competition series, is from the same producers as The Amazing Race, Bertram Van Munster and Elise Doganieri. The shows are produced through separate subsidiaries.
Other producers of The Great Escape include Imagine TV, Fox TV Studios, and creators Justin Hochberg and Charlie Ebersol, and the host is NFL on-air personality Rich Eisen. The first episode airs June 24.
Although the union statements list the various individuals and entities, the unfair declaration and strike are specified only against Profiles Entertainment. According to IATSE, the picket line is at Placerita Power Plant, current location of the show, and will be in place all day Saturday.
Bookmark The Hollywood Reporter’s Labor Page for the most in-depth coverage of entertainment unions and guilds.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer, 'X-Men' Director, Calls Suit A 'Sick, Twisted Shakedown'
- The Club 47 Folk Revival Explores the Iconic History of Old Cambridge Folk Club
- Jack Kilmer Talks 'Palo Alto,' His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents
- Lupita Nyong'o and America's Complicated Relationship With Beauty