'Idol's' Rickey Minor to join 'Tonight Show'
Replacing Kevin Eubanks as music director starting June 7
"American Idol" music director Rickey Minor is headed for "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno."
Minor replaces longtime music director Kevin Eubanks, who on Monday's show made his May 28 exit date official.
In an announcement Tuesday, NBC said Minor is expected to debut at "Tonight" on June 7.
The current season of "American Idol" ends in late May, after which Minor will continue to consult with "Idol" creator Simon Fuller on various projects, NBC said.
Minor has also served as music director of the Super Bowl, the Grammy Awards and the NAACP Image Awards.
His 2009 book, "There's No Traffic on the Extra Mile," shares his recollections of collaborating with such performing artists as Whitney Houston, Christina Aguilera, Alicia Keys, Ray Charles and Beyonce.
"We couldn't be more excited," said Debbie Vickers, "Tonight" executive producer. She said the show "has a long tradition of acclaimed musicians in this role, and it's great to now include Rickey alongside Kevin and Branford (Marsalis)."
Eubanks has been aboard "Tonight" since Leno took over as host in 1992. He became music director when Marsalis left in 1995, with duties that included strumming the guitar and playing Leno's comic sidekick. In February, NBC said Eubanks had expressed interest in personal touring and recording.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10