Imax Inks Three-Screen Deal With Empire Theaters
The latest Canadian deal follows the giant screen exhibitor lining up digital screen sales in China, India and other emerging markets outside of North America.
TORONTO – After its recent globe-trotting in search of new markets, Imax has a deal for a couple more theaters in its own backyard.
The Toronto-based giant screen exhibitor has an agreement with Empire Theaters for a joint venture screen to go into its Empire Empress Walk 10-screen multiplex in north Toronto, which is slated to open in May.
And Empire, which already has four Imax screens in its Canadian circuit, has agreed to launch two additional large format screens in undisclosed locations.
The latest Canadian agreement also brings to 31 the number of Imax commercial theaters already open or contracted to open countrywide.
And it follows Imax hiring former Paramount Pictures International exec Andrew Cripps to increase its theater network in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, and promoting Mark Welton to president, Imax Theaters, where he will oversee theater sales and operations worldwide.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting