Imax Names Mark Welton to Spearhead World Theater Expansion
The promotion comes as the giant screen exhibitor expands into emerging markets like China and Russia on the strength of its super-sized Hollywood movie slate.
TORONTO – Giant screen exhibitor Imax Corp. has promoted Mark Welton to president, Imax Theaters, where he will oversee theater sales and operations worldwide.
Welton, who joined Imax in 1997, will look to grow Toronto-based Imax as it expands into emerging markets like China, Russia and Latin America.
Having most recently led Imax’s expansion into joint venture theater deals and its digital transition away from film, Welton will also oversee the exhibitor’s digital technology development and the Canadian headquarters in Mississauga, Ontario.
His appointment follows former Paramount Pictures International exec Andrew Cripps joining Imax to increase its theater network in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
"His (Welton's) in-depth knowledge of our business, coupled with his operational and industry expertise, has helped us expand our business in key markets,” Imax CEO Richard Gelfond said on news of Welton’s promotion.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR