Imax Partners With Pathe for Switzerland Expansion
The giant screen exhibitor will install its first Swiss commercial cinema in Geneva as part of a broader diversification push in Europe.
TORONTO – Imax is entering the Swiss commercial market, via a theater deal with Pathe.
The agreement with Les Cinemas Gaumont et Pathe, the exhibition division of the European film production and distribution giant, will see Imax install a theater at the Pathe Balexert multiplex in Geneva.
The deal marks the first commercial Imax theater to open in Switzerland, although an institutional screen is in operation in Lucerne.
"As one of the preeminent exhibitors in Europe, Pathe is a strategic partner for our first commercial entry into Switzerland as well as in supporting our broader European expansion," said Andrew Cripps, president of Imax EMEA in a statement Monday.
Pathe currently has five Imax theaters running in the Netherlands, and one more in backlog, and another five theaters open in France.
Pathe has 983 screens total, in all formats, across its circuit.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kate Beckinsale Films 'Absolutely Anything' Alongside a Really Really Nice Car!
- Usher Narrows Down 'The Voice' Live Show Performers to Just Three - Meet Team Usher!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Help Plant a Tree in Australia!
- Sam Claflin Promotes 'The Quiet Ones' at His 'Meet The Actors' Session in NYC!