Canada's Imax Adds to India Footprint With PVR Cinemas Deal
The Indian multiplex pioneer is to install a fifth large format theater in Bangalore, after an earlier four-theater agreement.
TORONTO – Indian cinema chain and multiplex pioneer PVR Cinemas has purchased an Imax theater for Bangalore, to add to an earlier four-screen deal with the Canadian giant screen exhibitor.
New Delhi-based PVR, which is currently expanding its cinema circuit overall, will open the fifth Imax screen in March 2013 in Bangalore’s Vega Mall.
The latest agreement follows an earlier March 2011 deal with Imax for four theaters.
PVR plans to open two Imax theaters in existing multiplexes in Bangalore and Mumbai in 2012, with the other two super-sized screens set to open as part of new constructions in Delhi and Noida by 2014.
The PVR deal comes as Imax continues to build out its footprint in India as part of an international diversification beyond North America.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Third Person' Trailer Shows Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde, Liam Neeson Feeling Everything
- AMC's Hit Reality Show 'Small Town Security' Is Back For Season 3
- Bride Gives Groom 'Ghostbusters' Cake, Proves That She's A Keeper
- Ted Neeley, Original 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Hopes Pope Francis Will Come To The Musical