Imax to Release 'Skyfall' a Day Early in North America
The latest pre-release of a Hollywood tentpole by the giant screen exhibitor will see Daniel Craig return for his third turn as the British secret agent ahead of the wide rollout.
TORONTO – It's official: the James Bond franchise installment Skyfall will land in Imax theaters across North America a day earlier on Nov. 8.
As THR previously reported ahead of Imax's official confirmation, the pre-release will come a day ahead of the wide release for the Sam Mendes-directed tentpole on Nov. 9 from Albert R. Broccoli's EON Productions, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios and Sony Pictures Entertainment.
Imax will supersize Skyfall, which sees Daniel Craig return for his third turn as the British secret agent, to fit its larger aspect ratio.
“We think Imax audiences are in for a special treat – we think the larger aspect ratio takes great advantage of the Imax format,” Rory Bruer, president of worldwide distribution for Sony Pictures said Thursday in a statement.
Greg Foster, chairman and president of Imax Filmed Entertainment, also stressed the immersive impact of Skyfall on his screens.
"Through the use of the expanded aspect ratio, director Sam Mendes’ vision is bringing the iconic 007 character to life as never before, providing audiences everywhere an up-close, you-are-there experience that can’t be missed,” Foster said in his own statement.
The upcoming release of Skyfall comes on the 50th anniversary of the first 007 film, Dr. No.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'