Imax Unveils a Four-Theater Deal in China
The latest Asian expansion follows Bill Kong's Broadway Theater Company getting to six large format screens it will operate locally.
TORONTO – Hong Kong-based Broadway Theater Company, founded and run by film producer Bill Kong (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), has acquired another four theaters from Imax Corp. for the Chinese and Hong Kong markets.
The first two digital screens will open at Yoho Town, Hong Kong, and in Wenzhou, China in 2013.
No word on locations for the other two new digital theaters.
Broadway already operates a newly-opened Imax theater in Hangzhou, China, with another venue set to open by the end of 2012 in Puxi, Shanghai.
Kong's other movie credits include Hero, House of Flying Daggers and Jet Li's Fearless.
The Broadway deal brings to 217 the number of theaters that Imax has open or is slated to open in the expanding Chinese market.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!