The Impact of Turner's Philanthropy
At the decade mark of its existence, the largest private donation in world history has gotten a lot smarter.
In 1997, a year after turner broadcasting was acquired by time Warner, whose stock was flying high, Ted Turner announced he would donate $1 billion to United Nations programs over a decade. The donation seems to have been put to good use: According to the foundation's 2010 tax filing, it raised $124 million from Turner and other sources, gave grants of $72.5 million and still had assets of $180 million.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR