'The Impossible' Set to Smash Another Spanish Box Office Record
Juan Antonio Bayona's drama about post-tsunami Thailand is set to unseat "The Others" as the highest-grossing release for a Spanish film in its home market.
MADRID - Juan Antonio Bayona's The Impossible is set to unseat Alejandro Amenabar's The Others as the highest-grossing release for a Spanish film in its home market ever.
It has already grossed more than €27.5 million ($35.4 million) at the box office and sold some 4 million tickets in Spain since its Oct. 11 premiere in theaters. That is just shy of the $35.5 million that the Nicole Kidman mystery had snagged in 2001. That made it the highest-grossing release here to-date that qualifies as a Spanish production due to its Spanish director and production firm. Both releases are English-language films.
Distributed in Spain by Warner Bros. Pictures and starring Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor, The Impossible is a drama about a family dealing with the aftermath of the 2004 tsunami in Southeast Asia. It already recorded the largest-ever opening weekend box office for a Spanish film in Spain.
Produced by Belen Atienza and Enrique Lopez Lavigne's Apaches Entertainment and Telecinco Cinema, the film branch of media giant Mediaset Espana, The Impossible has become a social phenomenon in Spain and a must for moviegoers thanks to an aggressive marketing campaign by Telecinco Cinema.
The company, which posted an operating profit of $53.8 million for the first half of its fiscal year, is hoping The Impossible can hold onto its top spot in the weekly box office rankings ahead of the just-released Skyfall. Expectations of a long, rainy holiday weekend in Spain bode well for box office earnings.
Spanish cinema currently holds a 17.1 percent share of the domestic market, two points more than last year at the same time, according to the Spanish producers' federation FAPAE.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Jem & the Holograms' Leading Cast Revealed: Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, & More!
- Novak Djokovic Expecting First Child with Fiancee Jelena Ristic!
- Suki Waterhouse Gets Leggy at the Burberry Shanghai Launch with Cara Delevingne
- Isabel Lucas is Picture Perfect with Jim Sturgess at Tribeca Film Fest!