'The Inbetweeners 2' Scheduled for August Rollout in U.K.
The sequel to the record-breaking comedy is set to begin shooting in Australia this week and will hit British and Irish cinemas via Entertainment Film Distributors.
LONDON -- Film4, the film unit of U.K. broadcaster Channel 4, said Monday that the follow-up to 2011 U.K. box office smash hit The Inbetweeners would come into British and Irish cinemas in August.
The follow-up to the big-screen version of British cult TV comedy The Inbetweeners will see the cast of Simon Bird, James Buckley, Blake Harrison and Joe Thomas return along with creators Iain Morris and Damon Beesley, who will be directing from their own script.
Shooting is due to start in Australia on Saturday before production is scheduled to move to the U.K. in January. The sequel will roll out in August via Entertainment FIlm Distributors across the U.K. and Ireland.
Film4, which spreads its $24 million annual budget across developing and minority funding key titles to secure U.K. TV rights, decided to majority finance the sequel.
Insiders put the budget above the first film's $5.7 million (£3.5 million). The first film was fully financed by Channel 4 through Film4 and 4DVD. The sequel's budget was helped by the record-breaking performance of the first.
The original outing, also released by Entertainment Film Distributors, went on to collect a whopping $72.6 million (£45 million) in the U.K. alone, setting a record for the most successful opening weekend ever for a British comedy. It became the third highest grossing film of 2011 here behind only Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and Oscar-winnner The King's Speech.
Spencer Millman (Man Down) is producing the sequel. Morris and Beesley are keeping the plot under wraps, saying they don't want to "spoil the jokes" but promising kangaroos and Australians. "And possibly koalas," the duo joked.
The film will be produced by Bwark Productions, a Zodiak Media company, which will co-finance with Channel 4/Film4.
No further financial details were disclosed.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Mila Kunis & Olivia Wilde Take Us on an Emotional Roller Coaster in 'Third Person' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!