'Inception' midnight screenings bag $3 mil
First weekend projected to produce about $50 mil
Almost 2,000 movie theaters programming midnight Thursday performances of Warner Bros.' Leonardo DiCaprio starrer "Inception" collected an estimated $3 million, as the Christopher Nolan-helmed fantasy thriller begins a first weekend projected to produce about $50 million in domestic boxoffice.
Though no kind of record, the hefty witching hour coin supports the notion that "Inception" can build on broadly positive critical reviews and post a tentpole-sized debut. Studios execs figure word of mouth among first-frame patrons then will propel a leggy run through subsequent sessions.
"Inception" will circulate in more than 3,800 locations through the remainder of the weekend. Rated PG-13, "Inception" co-stars Ellen Page, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Marion Cotillard.
Production costs on the effects-filled pic have been estimated at $160 million.
Elsewhere in the theatrical marketplace, Disney's effects-filled family fantasy "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" conjured an estimated $3.2 million Thursday for a two-day cume of $7.1 million since unspooling Wednesday. Disney execs were hoping to fetch up to $30 million from the pic's five-day debut.
Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, "Sorcerer's" was directed by Jon Turteltaub ("National Treasure") and stars Nicolas Cage, Alfred Molina and Jay Baruchel ("She's Out of My League").
PG-rated "Sorcerer's" totes a negative cost of $150 million.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ultimate Warrior Autopsy Finds Wrestler Died Of Cardiovascular Disease
- The Final Trailer For 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past Is A Traveler Of Both Time & Space
- A Conversation with The Both's Aimee Mann & Ted Leo, Plus A Quick Chat with Dolly Parton
- 'True Detective' Meets 'The Family Circus' Is Pure Evil Genius
- Brant Daugherty & Ian Harding Support a Good Cause at the Road To Hope Charity Benefit!
- Leonardo DiCaprio Wrestles a Friend at Coachella & Loses Badly (Video)
- Lily Aldridge's Toned Tummy is Why You Should Hit the Gym Now!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Change Outfits for Australia Arrival with Prince George!