'Independence Day 2,' 'Peregrine's Home for Peculiars' Get Release Dates
Fox also shuffles dates for "X-Men: Days of Future Past," "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes," and "Assassin's Creed."
The long-awaited sequel to Roland Emmerich's Independence Day will land in theaters in 2015.
20th Century Fox announced Thursday that Independence Day 2 will open on July 3, 2015, the eve of the lucrative holiday that drove 1996's Independence Day to a stellar $50 million debut. Emmerich will return to direct and produce, but none of the original cast -- including lead Will Smith -- has been announced as returning as of yet.
For now, only Universal's animated 3D Untitled Illumination Entertainment 2015 Project is slated to also open on that date.
Fox also announced that Peregrine's Home for Peculiars will hit theaters July 31, 2015. The film, based on Ransom Riggs' debut novel, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, will be directed by Tim Burton from a script by X-Men: First Class writer Jane Goldman. The story follows a teenage boy who is transported to an island where he must help protect a group of orphans with special powers from creatures out to destroy them.
The project currently has that date to itself.
Fox has also shuffled the dates of several other high-profile projects.
X-Men: Days of Future Past, has moved up from July 18, 2014, to May 23, 2014. Bryan Singer's X-Men film features several members of the original 2000-06 trilogy -- Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Anna Paquin and Ellen Page -- along with the First Class stars, including Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Nicholas Hoult and Jennifer Lawrence. Newcomers Peter Dinklage, Booboo Stewart, Omar Sy and Fan Bingbing also have been added to the cast.
Warner Bros. comedy Blended, starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, also opens May 23, 2014.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes shifts from May 23, 2014, to July 18, 2014. Fox's sequel stars Gary Oldman, Keri Russell, Judy Greer and Andy Serkis. Directed by Matt Reeves, the sci-fi pic is set 15 years after the events of the hit 2011 film. It follows Caesar (Serkis), the intelligent ape who is trying to maintain dominance over his kingdom, and the scientists struggling to survive in San Francisco.
The sequel to upcoming 3D animated film Planes -- titled Planes: Fire and Rescue -- is the only other wide release currently set for May 23, 2014.
Finally, video-game based film Assassin's Creed, starring Michael Fassbender, will push from May 22, 2015, to June 19, 2015. Pixar's Inside Out, from Up director Pete Docter, is slated for the same release date.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zosia Mamet Attends 'Hand To God' Opening Night with Boyfriend Evan Jonigkeit!
- Rita Ora Rocks Sexy Pink Bodysuit for L.A. Music Video Shoot!
- Shirtless Josh Henderson's Six Pack is Unreal in Op's Latest Campaign with Bikini-Clad Nina Agdal!
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!