India Has World's Second-Highest Number of Facebook Users at Over 43 million
The base more than doubled at the end of 2011 accounting.
NEW DELHI – India is fast becoming an important market for Facebook, with the country is now home to about 43.5 million users, narrowly beating Indonesia's 43 million userbase.
The U.S. leads with 155 million users, while Facebook's total global user base of over 800 million, if measured as a country, makes it the third mostpopulous country in the world after China and India's billion-plus populations.
India's base is notable given that Internet penetration is still nascent, estimated at about 120 million users.
“We continue to focus on growing our user base across all geographies, including relatively less-penetrated, large markets such as Brazil, Germany, India, Japan, Russia, and South Korea. We intend to grow our user base by continuing our marketing and user acquisition efforts and enhancing our products, including mobile apps, in order to make Facebook more accessible and useful,” Facebook said in its filing.
The company also estimated that there are over two billion global internet users that Facebook aims to connect.
According to a survey of Facebook's Indian demographics by The Hindustan Times newspaper, 72.8 percent of users are male while 48 percent are in the 18-24 age group with 27 percent in the 25-34 age group.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Grant Gustin Is Proud & Stoked to Wear 'Flash' Costume!
- Angelina Jolie Reveals She Will Have Another Preventative Cancer Surgery
- Shailene Woodley Slams 'Twilight' to 'Teen Vogue': It's About An Unhealthy, Toxic Relationship
- Sarah Michelle Gellar & James Wolk Are 'The Crazy Ones' at Hall of Fame Gala!