India.Arie to Star in Broadway show 'Colored Girls'
Grammy-winning R&B artist India.Arie will star in the first Broadway revival of "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow Is Enuf," which will be produced by Whoopi Goldberg and DreamTeam Entertainment this summer.
The first preview is scheduled for mid-July, in advance of an early August opening. Shirley Jo Finney will direct, and Hinton Battle, a three-time Tony winner, will choreograph. The Tony-nominated play, which ran for nearly two years on Broadway in the '70s, presents the stories of seven women of color from the African diaspora.
India.Arie's role in "For Colored Girls" follows a 2008 Best R&B Song Grammy nomination for "Beautiful Flower." Her cover of the Don Henley song "The Heart of the Matter," a track from her Billboard 200 No. 1 album "Testimony: Vol. 1, Life & Relationship," is featured in the new trailer for the upcoming "Sex and the City" film.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR