India's 'Dhoom 3' Crosses $80 Million Worldwide
The third installment in the action franchise directed by Vijay Krishna Acharya is now the highest-grossing Indian film ever.
Dhoom 3 has become the highest-grossing film in Indian cinema history at $83.56 million (5 billion rupees) worldwide. It is the first Indian film ever to cross the $80 million mark.
Produced by veteran Bollywood banner Yash Raj Films, the third installment of the action franchise stars superstar Aamir Khan, Abhishek Bachchan, Uday Chopra and Katrina Kaif. Dhoom 3 is directed by Vijay Krishna Acharya, who co-wrote the script with producer and YRF topper Aditya Chopra.
According to YRF, since its Dec. 20 release, the film has collected $56.8 million (3.51 billion rupees) in India, while its overseas box office has crossed $25 million (1.5 billion rupees), setting a new record for the highest overseas gross ever for an Indian film.
3 Idiots (2008) held the Indian box office title for a few years, with an estimated $60 million gross, until Chennai Express edged past it in 2013 with an estimated $63 million.
YRF added that Dhoom 3 will soon expand into new territories, including Germany, Peru, Romania, Japan, Russia, East Europe and Turkey.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR