Indio, California City Council OKs Two More Years of Coachella, Stagecoach Festivals
Despite concerns from neighboring La Quinta about noise and traffic, the desert community approves an agreement with promoter Goldenvoice to continue hosting the annual music gatherings at the Empire Polo Club.
The three-day-long Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival is expanding to two back-to-back weekends in 2012 in an effort to meet the “overwhelming” demand for tickets (the 2010 fest sold out in a week). Crucial in that equation for promoter Goldenvoice? The approval of Indio, California’s five-member city council, four of whom voted this week to OK the concert’s return to the Empire Polo Club, where it’s been held since 1999.
The vote was delayed by two weeks at the request of neighboring community La Quinta and its city council, who had expressed concern about detrimental effects to the environment and local residents, such as increased dust, traffic and noise.
To address the issue, Goldenvoice proposed “monitoring by an independent third party of air quality, traffic and noise” for next year’s concerts, which also include the country-themed Stagecoach, scheduled for April 27-29. La Quinta agreed and the show will go on, with Coachella set to kick off on April 13 (2013 dates have not been announced).
“Goldenvoice is as important to us any other business,” said Indio Mayor Lupe Ramos Watson, whose city will pocket $2.33 for every weekend pass sold, potentially bringing in as much as $500,000. The fee, the council members emphasized, will not be passed down to concert-goers.
With a reputation for showcasing a diverse array of musical acts, past festival headliners have included Arcade Fire, Jay-Z, Radiohead, Paul McCartney, Coldplay and Prince, and attendance has reached close to 100,000, as was the case in 2007 when Rage Against the Machine reunited.
The 2012 lineup has yet to be announced, but typically, acts are revealed around the third week of January.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!