Indomina Books 'Detective Dee' for North America
Indomina Releasing has acquired all North American rights to the Hong Kong film Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame after its AFM screening.
Andy Lau, Carina Lau and Bingbing Li star in the story of Detective Dee, who is called into service to investigate a series of mysterious deaths in the Imperial Palace on the eve of the Empress' inauguration. The film has already grossed $40 million USD since opening in China, and it screened at the Venice and Toronto film festivals.
Hark Tsui directed from a script by Chen Kuofu and Chang Chialu. Hark also produced along with Wang Zhongjun, Wang Zhonglei, Chen Kuofu and Shi Nansun.
"Hark Tsui's Detective Dee redefines the martial arts genre," said Indomina Group CEO Jasbinder Singh Mann. "The film is a true representation of the Indomina brand, and we are thrilled to continue to acquire innovative, high quality genre-based films."
Indomina acquisitions exec Rob Williams negotiated the deal with Leslie Chen, senior manager of international sales and distribution at Huayi Brothers on behalf of the filmmakers.
Indomina has also recently acquired Griff the Invisible, Wasted on the Young, Bodyguards and Assassins, True Legend and Outcast.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'