Infamous YouTube Celebrities Come Together to 'Get Happy' in New Super Bowl Spot
The eHarmony cat lady, Angry Fat Guy and politician Phil Davison join reggae legend Jimmy Cliff in new Volkswagen Super Bowl commercial.
Volkswagen is hoping to teach the YouTube generation to sing in perfect harmony with the teaser for its new Super Bowl spot.
In a scene reminiscent of the end credits to The 40-Year-Old Virgin, notorious meltdowners, whiners and cry babies -- who all became Internet famous through their respective YouTube videos -- join reggae legend Jimmy Cliff in a park on a beautiful sunny afternoon in the name of peace, love and happiness.
Internet sensations like "Debbie," the eHarmony cat lady; the "Angry Fat Guy" who smashed an Xbox with his guitar; Ohio politician Phil Davison and minor league baseball manager Phil Wellman are just a few of the people featured in the commercial.
The video begins with clips from all their respective YouTube videos, then switches to a beautiful park on a sunny day where Cliff, decked out in bright yellow flair, sings "Get Happy" as the crowd of YouTubers dance around him, albeit awkwardly and off-beat. Even the "Irritated Llama" gets into the act.
The theme being that even though these folks suffered embarrassingly public meltdowns, it's now time to get happy and enjoy life. As the YouTube description of the video states, "In this pre-game release video Volkswagen and reggae legend Jimmy Cliff join together to infuse much-needed positivity and good vibes into a world that's become awash with freak-outs, meltdowns, and temper tantrums over just about anything. It's time to get happy. 2.3.13."
The commercial was put together by Deutsch/LA, the company behind Volkswagen's "The Force" spot in 2011, which became the most-watched Super Bowl ad ever, with nearly 56 million YouTube views to date.
Details of the full commercial have yet to be announced. Cliff's song "Get Happy" is available as an exclusive download on Volkswagen's official website.
The 47th Super Bowl will take place on Sunday, Feb. 3. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. EST on CBS.
Watch the Volkswagen teaser spot below:
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10