'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' Actress Dana Wynter Dies at 79
The actress also appeared in "Shake Hands With the Devil" with James Cagney, "Sink the Bismarck!" and "Airport."
Dana Wynter, best known for her role in the 1956 science-fiction classic Invasion of the Body Snatchers, died Thursday of congestive heart failure at Ojai Valley Community Hospital's Continuing Care Center. She was 79.
Wynter portrayed Becky Driscoll, the love interest of Kevin McCarthy's Dr. Miles Bennell in Body Snatchers, director Don Siegel's tale of a small town whose residents were being replaced by emotionless duplicates grown in pods. McCarthy died in September.
Wynter, who was born in Germany and raised in England and South Africa, also worked in the films Shake Hands With the Devil(1959) with James Cagney, Sink the Bismarck! (1960) and Airport (1970).
On TV, she appeared in Robert Montgomery Presents and Playhouse 90 in the 1950s, starred with Robert Lansing in the 1966-67 ABC series The Man Who Never Wasand guest-starred on such shows as Cannon, The Rockford Files, Hart to Hart and Magnum, P.I.
Wynter wrote the 2005 book Other People, Other Places: Memories of Four Continents and was an animal-rights advocate, her son Mark Bautzer, her only survivor, told the Los Angeles Times.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR