'Iron Man 3,' 'Ah Boys 2' Top Singapore Box Office in 2013
Tony Stark commandingly leads the charts with a $10.21 million gross, but local director Jack Neo sets a new record for a Singaporean film, pulling in $6.36 million with "Ah Boys 2" and landing in second place for the year.
Thor, Superman and Jennifer Lawrence's Katniss Everdeen were no match for Tony Stark at the Singapore box office in 2013. The third film in Marvel Disney's Iron Man franchise commandingly topped the territory's film charts, grossing $10.21 million, ahead of local director Jack Neo's Ah Boys to Men 2 in second place with $6.36 million.
Neo's sequel to his 2012 film about life in Singapore's government-mandated military service was the only local title to place in the 2013 Top 10. Superheroes ruled in Singapore last year, as Thor: The Dark World came in third with $6.29 million, Man of Steel took fifth with $5 million, and G.I. Joe: Retaliation and The Wolverine came in eighth and ninth, with $4.26 million and $3.88 million, respectively.
Despicable Me 2 made a strong showing with $5.65 million, nabbing fourth place, while Fast & Furious 6 came sixth at $4.71 million. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was seventh with $4.59 million, and Pacific Rim rounded out the Top 10 with $3.87 million.
In the 2013 Top 10 list of Chinese-language films, Ah Boys easily dominated ($6.36 million, a new all-time record for a local film in Singapore), followed by Stephen Chow's juggernaut Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons, which grossed $1.76 million in Singapore, after earning a year-best $205.9 million in mainland China. Local comedy Taxi! Taxi! from Kevin Sng and Hong Kong period film Saving General Yang came third and fourth, with $1.16 million and $1.12 million, respectively.
Anthony Chen's critical darling and surprise breakout box-office hit Ilo Ilo took sixth for Chinese-language titles, grossing just under $1 million locally. The film, which won the Camera d'Or at Cannes and best film at the Taiwan Golden Horse Awards, got a second release in local cinemas in November. Ilo Ilo's success marks the first time in recent memory that a local film with arthouse sensibilities made an impact at the Singapore box office.
The full Top 10 lists are below.
Singapore 2013 Box Office Top 10
1. Iron Man 3: $10.21 million
2. Ah Boys To Men 2: $6.36 million
3. Thor: The Dark World: $6.29 million
4. Despicable Me 2: $5.65 million
5. Man of Steel: $5.02 million
6. Fast & Furious 6: $4.71 million
7. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: $4.59 million
8. G.I. Joe: Retaliation: $4.26 million
9. The Wolverine: $3.88
10. Pacific Rim: $3.87
Singapore 2013 Box Office Top 10 for Chinese-Language Films
1. Ah Boys to Men 2: $6.36 million
2. Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons: $1.76 million
3. Taxi! Taxi!: $1.16 million
4. Saving General Yang: $1.12 million
5. Special ID: $977,407
6. Ilo Ilo: $947,621
7. The Grandmaster: $882,814
8. Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon: $$725,132
9. Everybody's Business: $$473,891
10. Police Story 2013: $450,000 (Still on release)