'Iron Man 3' Has Spain's Strongest Opening of 2013
Shane Black's installment in the Marvel franchise bows in the country to $4.88 million, more than the next 20 films combined during the same weekend.
MADRID -- Iron Man 3 arrived at the Spanish box office like a blast of fresh air, raking in more in its first weekend than the next top 20 films over the same period combined, according to figures from Rentrak Spain Monday.
With €3.73 million ($4.88 million) in sales from some 500,000 tickets sold, Iron Man 3 was Spain's best opening weekend in 2013, displacing Andres Muschietti's Mama, which earned €2.6 million ($3.4 million) off its Feb. 8 premiere weekend.
Shane Black's installment in the Iron Man franchise also outpaced its two predecessors, with Iron Man earning €2.1 million off of 364,526 tickets and Iron Man 2 earning €2.7 million from 416,305 tickets.
"People were waiting for this film to come out and the [rainy] weather certainly helped, but the figures are good under any circumstances, but particularly given the present climate," said Rentrak's David Rodriguez.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Vanessa Hudgens Flashes Her Calvins in Low Slung Shorts!
- Man Sings Frozen's 'Let It Go' in 21 Different Disney Voices & It's as Amazing as You'd Think!
- Neil Patrick Harris Skypes in Shirtless for 'How I Met Your Mother' PaleyFest Panel!
- Three Grandmas Read Beyonce's 'Drunk in Love' Lyrics & Their Reactions Are Hilarious - Watch Now!