'Iron Man 3' Passes $13 Million in Hong Kong; Becomes All-time Third Highest Grossing Film
Third installment of Marvel's franchise already has broken four box office records in Hong Kong.
HONG KONG – Iron Man 3 stormed past the HK$100 million mark at the Hong Kong box office to become the third highest grossing film of all time in the region.
The Marvel blockbuster, starring Robert Downey Jr., has raked in HK$101.6 million ($13 million) from its April 25 opening to May 20, according to the Hong Kong Motion Pictures Industry Association and the Hong Kong Theatres Association.
It is the third top grossing film behind James Cameron’s Avatar and Titanic, which took HK$178 million and HK$115 million, respectively. It squeezed last year’s The Avengers, which grossed HK$96.7 million, out of the top three.
The third installment of the Iron Man franchise, which broke box office records around the world, is already the holder of four box office records in Hong Kong. It has the biggest opening weekend with HK$36 million, ahead of The Avengers and Transformers: Dark of the Moon; the biggest opening week with HK$57 million; the highest grossing non-public holiday opening day with HK$6.6 million; and the top-grossing single day with HK$11.7 million.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama