Iron Man Tops Thor in 'Avengers' Toy Tally
THR counts cargo containers to uncover which superhero is moving the most toys.
The box-office success of The Avengers likely is causing a boom in sales of Marvel SuperHero merchandise. But parent Disney and toy partner Hasbro are declining to share statistics. So THR asked Panjiva, a company that tracks international trade, to count the number of massive cargo containers that were packed with Avengers toys and other merchandise in February, March and April (the key prerelease months). Keeping in mind that each cargo container can carry several thousand Thor hammers, Hawkeye bows and Iron Man masks, one can glean the popularity not only of goods based on the Avengers as a group but of each of the seven individual heroes as well. Here's the count, along with examples of popular items beyond mere action figures.
IRON MAN: 90 containers -- Iron Man Battle Vehicle, Iron Man Helmet, Electronic Iron Man Mask, Iron Man Wrist Repulsors
THOR: 86 containers -- Thor Fine Art Statue, Mighty Muggs Thor, Thor Hammer
CAPTAIN AMERICA: 48 containers -- Captain America Footzeez, Captain America Blaster, Captain America Shield
HULK: 45 containers -- Hulk Smash Fists, Hulk Footzeez, Hulk Birthday Candles
HAWKEYE: 28 containers -- Hawkeye Special Big Bad Bow, Mini Mighty Muggs Hawkeye
BLACK WIDOW: 10 containers -- Black Widow Mini Bust
NICK FURY: 1 container -- Funko Pop Marvel Bobble: Avengers Nick Fury, Mini Mighty Muggs Nick Fury
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR