The Irresistible Lure of the Joker
From the comics through the corny TV show to Heath Ledger's "Dark Knight" maniac, the Clown Prince of Crime long has been "the ungovernable force of horrific violence."
The Joker's hair is green. It's always been green. But when James Holmes was taken into custody after the Aurora murders on July 20, New York City's police commissioner announced that Holmes had painted his hair red (he may have meant the bright orange-red shade that's appeared in recent photos) and that Holmes had been saying he was the Joker. It's a mark of the reflexive, thrilled horror with which pop-culture audiences regard the Joker that ordinarily reliable news outlets reported those two claims together without questioning them and might have done so even if the movie at which the massacre happened had been Magic Mike.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR