Italian Scribe Tonino Guerra Tapped for WGA West's Jean Renoir Award
The honor is given to an international writer "who has advanced the literature of motion pictures and made outstanding contributions to the profession of screenwriter."
Italian screenwriter Tonino Guerra has been named the recipient of the Writers Guild of America West's 2011 Jean Renoir Award for Screenwriting Achievement, given to an international writer "who has advanced the literature of motion pictures and made outstanding contributions to the profession of screenwriter."
Guerra, who has written more than 100 screenplays, has worked with such filmmakers as Federico Fellini, Michelangelo Antonioni, Andrey Tarkovsky, Francesco Rosi and Theodoros Angelopoulos.
Among the films he has written or co-written are L'avventura, Red Desert, Blow-Up, Zabriskie Point, Amarcord, Nostalghia, Landscapes of the Mist and Exquisite Corpses. He earned Oscar nominations for Amarcord, Blow-Up and Casanova 70.
While the 90-year-old Guerra will not be traveling to Los Angeles to accept his award at the guild's awards ceremony Feb. 5, he will receive the honorary award next month at his home in Northern Italy.
"Tonino Guerra is by any standard one of the great writers of our times," WGAW board of diretors member Howard A. Rodman said. "He is a breathtaking poet, a generous collaborator and is possessed of the largest heart. We are fortunate to have him among us and thrilled to honor his astonishing -- and astonishingly influential -- body of work."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)