• The Hollywood Reporter on LinkedIn
  • Follow THR on Pinterest

Italy's Nastri d'Argento Prizes to Take Place Monday Without a Red Carpet

The country's oldest film awards will take on a more sober tone in deference to the victims of a series of devastating earthquakes in the region of Emiglia-Romagna.

ROME – Italy’s Nastri d’Argento awards will take place Monday without their signature red carpet, as organizers said they have opted for a more sober ceremony this year as the country mourns the victims of a series of devastating earthquakes in the region of Emilia, Romagna.

PHOTOS: The Donatello Awards - Italy's Oscars

The 66-year-old Nastri d’Argento awards, Italy’s oldest film honor, are presented each year by the Italian National Union of Film Journalists. The award’s name, which means “Silver Ribbons” in Italian sparked headlines in the Italian media Thursday proclaiming “Silver Ribbons without a Red Carpet.”
Other than toning down the traditionally gala event, it will otherwise go off without a hitch, organizers said.
 
As reported previously, Cesare deve morire (Ceaser Must Die), the latest production from Italy’s famed Taviani Brothers, will receive the Nastro d’Argento dell’anno (The Silver Ribbon of the Year), the latest in a long series of honors for the film, which the story of a prison acting troupe preparing to perform William Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar. The film already won the prestigious Golden Bear prize at the Berlin Film Festival and it won five prizes at the David di Donatello awards on May 4.
 
The other prizes will be announced during Monday’s ceremony.
 
As of Thursday, the death toll from the two devastating earthquakes that struck the Italian region that includes the cities of Bologna and Modena over a nine-day span reached 24, with hundreds of others left homeless and hundreds of millions of euro in damages.