Italy's Davide di Donatello Nominations Announced
'We Believed' by Mario Martone is the top title with 13 nominations.
ROME -- Noi Credevamo (We Believed), a epic historical drama that tells the story of Italy’s 1861 unification, was the most nominated film for the David di Donatello awards, which were announced Thursday.
The film, which premiered at last year’s Venice Film Festival and released ahead of the 150th anniversary of the country’s unification, garnered 13 nominations, the most nominated film in a year where the honors were spread out, with 24 Italian films receiving a nomination in at least one category.
Noi Credevamo, directed by Mario Martone, was one of just four films named in both the best film and best director category, two sets of nominations that usually see near complete overlap. Martone and Giancarlo de Cataldo were also nominated in the best screenplay category, and the film’s producer, Carlo Degli Esposti, was nominated in his category. But the film was shut out of the four main acting categories.
The other two films nominated in both the best film and best director category were Luca Miniero’s Benvenuti al Sud (Welcome to the South), the second most nominated film with ten nods, La Nostra Vita (Our Life) from Daniele Luchetti, and Claudio Cupellini’s Una Vita Tranquilla (A Tranquil Life).
Films named in just one of the categories were Basilicata Coast to Coast from Rocco Papaleo, Marco Bellocchio’s Sorelle mai (Never Sisters), Saverio Costanzo’s La Solitudine dei Numeri Primi (The Solitude of the First Numnbers), La Quattro Volte (the Four Times) from Michalangelo Frammartino, and Immaturi (The Immature Ones), directed by Paolo Genovese.
In addition to Noi Credevamo, Basilicata Coast to Coast, Immaturi, La Nostra Vita, and Una Vita Tranquilla were all named in the best screenplay section.
In the best non-Italian film category, Darren Aronofsky’s Black Swan, Hereafter from Clint Eastwood, The Social Network from David Fincher, Christopher Nolan’s Inception, and Incendies from Denis Villeneuve were nominated.
The awards will be presented May 6 in Rome.
For the full list of nominees please see: http://www.daviddidonatello.it/candi2011.htm
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ultimate Warrior Autopsy Finds Wrestler Died Of Cardiovascular Disease
- The Final Trailer For 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past Is A Traveler Of Both Time & Space
- A Conversation with The Both's Aimee Mann & Ted Leo, Plus A Quick Chat with Dolly Parton
- 'True Detective' Meets 'The Family Circus' Is Pure Evil Genius
- Brant Daugherty & Ian Harding Support a Good Cause at the Road To Hope Charity Benefit!
- Leonardo DiCaprio Wrestles a Friend at Coachella & Loses Badly (Video)
- Lily Aldridge's Toned Tummy is Why You Should Hit the Gym Now!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Change Outfits for Australia Arrival with Prince George!