ITV1 chief defends 'X-Factor' voice modulation
Fincham believes producers 'faithfully reflect' performancesEDINBURGH--ITV1 boss Peter Fincham has defended the controversial use of voice-modulation technology in the British version of "The X-Factor," saying that he had not issued an outright ban on its use.
Fincham said he trusted the show's producers to "faithfully reflect" contestant performances and was confident that the technology had never been used to make performers sound worse.
Speaking at the Edinburgh International Television Festival that wrapped Sunday, ITV's director of television and channels said his team had been reassured by conversations with "Factor" production companies Syco and Talkback Thames about the quality of post-production.
"We expect producers of 'The X Factor' to deliver the show in a way that the performances of the contestants faithfully reflect what went on," he said. "I am satisfied that they will deliver me a show that faithfully reflect the performance."
Fincham said the use of post-production in such programs was routine and that he had not forced a ban on its use going forward in the show.
"I have not issued an instruction. I know you would like me to say that I have. It's not like that. They [the producers] understand the importance of the show. They understand that the contestants performances need to be fairly reflected," said Fincham, speaking after a session where he outlined ITV1's forthcoming drama highlights."
Fincham said he had not viewed the pre-recorded show before the seventh series went on air Saturday (August 21st), but pointed out that Elaine Bedell, director of comedy and entertainment and John Kaye Cooper, controller of entertainment, had reviewed the show.
The seventh series of "The X-Factor" launched last week to a record audience of 12 million
But viewers flooded message boards and Facebook after the Cowell-fronted show aired to complain that voice-enhancement technology had been used to improve the sound quality of some contestants.