Jack Black reteams with 'Rock' director
Shirley MacLaine also on board Richard Linklater's 'Bernie'
Jack Black is reteaming with "School of Rock" director Richard Linklater for the dark comedy "Bernie."
Shirley MacLaine will star opposite Black in the pic, which is being made by Mandalay Vision and Castle Rock Entertainment.
"Bernie" is set in the small town of Carthage, Texas and follows a Renaissance man-community leader-mortician Bernie (Black) who strikes up an unlikely friendship with a wealthy but very particular widow (MacLaine). When he kills her, he goes to great lengths to maintain the illusion that she is still alive.
Mandalay Vision's Celine Rattray will produce with Castle Rock's Martin Shafer and Liz Glotzer. Ginger Sledge will also produce.
Principal photography is scheduled to begin October.
Mandalay Vision was one of the companies behind this summer's indie hit "The Kids Are All Right," while Castle Rock has "Flipped" opening this weekend.
Black, repped by WME, next stars in "Gulliver's Travels" while CAA and Cinetic Management-repped Linklater last directed "Me and Orson Welles." He is in the early stages of directing a 12-year film production starring Ethan Hawke that charts the growth of a boy.
MacLaine, repped by ICM, appeared in "Valentine's Day."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)