Jack Black reteams with 'Rock' director
Shirley MacLaine also on board Richard Linklater's 'Bernie'
Jack Black is reteaming with "School of Rock" director Richard Linklater for the dark comedy "Bernie."
Shirley MacLaine will star opposite Black in the pic, which is being made by Mandalay Vision and Castle Rock Entertainment.
"Bernie" is set in the small town of Carthage, Texas and follows a Renaissance man-community leader-mortician Bernie (Black) who strikes up an unlikely friendship with a wealthy but very particular widow (MacLaine). When he kills her, he goes to great lengths to maintain the illusion that she is still alive.
Mandalay Vision's Celine Rattray will produce with Castle Rock's Martin Shafer and Liz Glotzer. Ginger Sledge will also produce.
Principal photography is scheduled to begin October.
Mandalay Vision was one of the companies behind this summer's indie hit "The Kids Are All Right," while Castle Rock has "Flipped" opening this weekend.
Black, repped by WME, next stars in "Gulliver's Travels" while CAA and Cinetic Management-repped Linklater last directed "Me and Orson Welles." He is in the early stages of directing a 12-year film production starring Ethan Hawke that charts the growth of a boy.
MacLaine, repped by ICM, appeared in "Valentine's Day."
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David