Jack Klugman's Son Blasts TV Academy Over Dad's Tribute Omission: 'It's Criminal'
A remembrance of the "The Odd Couple" star was not included among the five salutes set to be presented. Cory Monteith, James Gandolfini will be honored.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Jack Klugman's son says the exclusion of his father from an Emmy Awards tribute is an insult to the memory of the TV veteran.
"I think it's criminal," said Adam Klugman about the omission of his father from the tribute on Sunday night's Emmy show.
Jack Klugman -- a three-time Emmy winner -- starred in The Odd Couple and Quincy. Said his son: "My dad was at the inception of television and helped build it in the early days."
"It's an insult and it really seems typical of this youth-centric culture that has an extremely short attention span and panders to only a very narrow demographic" of young adults, Adam Klugman added.
It was announced this week that five salutes would be presented at the Emmys, including one for Cory Monteith of Glee, who died in July of an overdose.
Adam Klugman took exception to the inclusion of Monteith over his father. "What about the people who should be introduced to somebody like my father?" he said. "I don't mean to say anything disparaging about Cory, but he was a kid who had won no Emmys and it was a self-induced tragedy."
Other announced tributes include personal remembrances set for James Gandolfini, Gary David Goldberg, Jean Stapleton and Jonathan Winters.
Emmy nominees who died last year and won't be accorded separate tributes include Larry Hagman of Dallas and Charles Durning of Evening Shade. Hagman, Durning and Klugman will be included in the group remembrance, an academy spokesman said Friday.
Earlier this week, Emmy Awards ep Ken Ehrlich defended the selections for the personal tributes.
"No matter what we do, there will be people who feel we had other options and could have done other things," Ehrlich said. "In all candor, this becomes a producer's option. And in this case, we selected these five knowing certainly others could be treated this way, but these were the five we chose."
Other special tributes planned for the telecast include a segment looking back at the television news anchors who covered the President John F. Kennedy assassination 50 years ago. The tribute will feature music performed by Carrie Underwood.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- So, Is Joel And Julia's 'Parenthood' Divorce Painfully Realistic Or Totally Out Of Touch?
- Batkid Takes Break From Fighting Crime To Throw Out First Pitch At SF Giants' Home Opener
- Beyonce Wears A Bikini, No Makeup On Vacation With Blue Ivy And Jay Z
- This 'Grey's Anatomy' Sneak Peek Will Have You Ready To Party
- Dianna Agron Pleads for #ADayWithoutWaste: It Is Easy to Make Changes!
- Heidi Klum & Nick Cannon Know How to Wear Black & White at NBC Summer Press Day!
- Nina Agdal Works the Camera for Jeffrey Fashion Cares Charity Show!
- Ellen Page Will Present Exclusive Clip of 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' at MTV Movie Awards 2014!