Jackson drops court bid to block Vegas auction
EmptyLAS VEGAS -- Lawyers for Michael Jackson dropped an effort Friday to block an auction of the pop star's personal belongings and other Jackson family items.
Jackson did not appear in person in a Las Vegas court where his lawyer told a judge a confidential agreement had been reached with representatives of an auctioneer, the current owner of the materials, and a New Jersey man who claimed a warehouse full of Jackson memorabilia after a failed business venture wound up in bankruptcy court.
"The matter's been resolved," Gregory Cross, a lawyer for Jackson, told Clark County District Court Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez.
Lawyers declined to describe terms of the agreement, which settled an April 27 lawsuit.
Jackson sought to prevent the auction and force the return of items he claimed were personal property, court documents show. The entertainer also had sought unspecified punitive damages.
Universal Express Inc., the Boca Raton, Fla., luggage transportation company that owns the items claimed the materials were worth about $50 million, according to court records.
Arlan Ettinger, president of Guernsey's auction house of New York, said outside the courtroom that the auction will go on as scheduled May 30-31 at the Hard Rock hotel in Las Vegas.