Box Office Milestone: Daniel Craig's 'Skyfall' Crosses $1 Billion Worldwide
Directed by Sam Mendes, the 23rd installment in the iconic spy franchise is the third film of 2012 to hit that mark.
Sony and MGM have plenty to toast about as Skyfall rings out 2012 by crossing the $1 billion mark in global ticket sales.
Directed by Sam Mendes and marking Daniel Craig's third turn as 007, the movie reached the milestone Sunday when its worldwide tally hit $1 billion, by far the best showing of any Bond pic, not accounting for inflation. Skyfall has grossed $289.6 million domestically and $710.6 million internationally, becoming the highest grossing film in Sony's history and the first to jump $1 billion.
Skyfall continued to break records in the U.K. during the weekend, grossing $1.4 million for a total take of $161.6 million and becoming the first movie to ever cross the 100 million pound mark.
The film, from Eon Productions, is the 23rd installment in the iconic British spy franchise. Skyfall also stars Javier Bardem, Judi Dench and Ralph Fiennes.
Skyfall is the third movie of 2012 to cross $1 billion in worldwide ticket sales after Disney and Marvel's The Avengers ($1.51 billion) and Warner Bros.' The Dark Knight Rises ($1.08 billion). Including Skyfall, only 14 films have grossed $1 billion or more.
"It is truly thrilling to reach this incredible milestone," said MGM chairman-CEO Gary Barber.
Added Sony vice chairman Jeff Blake: “To see a film connect with audiences is always gratifying, but the success of this film is nothing short of extraordinary. After 50 years of entertaining audiences all over the world, Skyfall is the most successful James Bond film of all time."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack