Roger Bart: Why I Encouraged James Gandolfini to Pursue Acting
The Tony winner tells THR how getting to know the future "Sopranos" star made him realize that "New Jersey needs its own Gene Hackman."
I was working at this restaurant managed by a friend of Jim’s. We would close up the restaurant and Jim would sit at the bar and we just became friends. The more that I got to know Jim, the more I thought, “New Jersey needs its own Gene Hackman.” He has that wonderful face and size. So I asked him whether or not he’d ever considered being an actor. And his response was no. I kind of bugged him about it over the course of that year and a half or so where we were both 22 or 23. I finally left a message for him saying, “You should do this.” And I placed a call to this wonderful teacher, Kathryn Gately, “There’s this really great guy who I think you might want to meet.”
What I really couldn’t fathom was how gifted the guy would be. I knew him when he was sort of a regular guy. We saw each other over the years after that a handful of times and the first thing out of his mouth to me was, “You’re the one to blame.” But I think it’s obvious that he sort of met me at a time where I kind of kicked him in a direction.
Read more tributes to Gandolfini below:
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game