Roger Bart: Why I Encouraged James Gandolfini to Pursue Acting
The Tony winner tells THR how getting to know the future "Sopranos" star made him realize that "New Jersey needs its own Gene Hackman."
I was working at this restaurant managed by a friend of Jim’s. We would close up the restaurant and Jim would sit at the bar and we just became friends. The more that I got to know Jim, the more I thought, “New Jersey needs its own Gene Hackman.” He has that wonderful face and size. So I asked him whether or not he’d ever considered being an actor. And his response was no. I kind of bugged him about it over the course of that year and a half or so where we were both 22 or 23. I finally left a message for him saying, “You should do this.” And I placed a call to this wonderful teacher, Kathryn Gately, “There’s this really great guy who I think you might want to meet.”
What I really couldn’t fathom was how gifted the guy would be. I knew him when he was sort of a regular guy. We saw each other over the years after that a handful of times and the first thing out of his mouth to me was, “You’re the one to blame.” But I think it’s obvious that he sort of met me at a time where I kind of kicked him in a direction.
Read more tributes to Gandolfini below:
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Will Hillary & Bill Clinton's Daughter Chelsea Be Running for Office?
- Zac Efron Gives a Lap Dance, Admits to 'Plowing' Lots of Chicks in Comedy Central Funny Video - Watch Now!
- Miley Cyrus Will 'Remain Hospitalized' After 'Extreme' Reaction to Sinus Infection Antibiotics
- Taylor Swift Steps Out for Ingrid Michaelson Concert in Brooklyn!