Prosecutors Seeking Death Penalty for Alleged 'Dark Knight Rises' Shooter James Holmes
After conferring with families of the victims of the July movie theater massacre, prosecutors announced Monday, "For James Eagan Holmes, justice is death."
Prosecutors will seek the ultimate penalty against James Holmes.
The former University of Colorado student is alleged to be the man behind the mass shooting at a July 20 midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo., that killed 12 and woulded 58 others. Last week, his lawyers submitted an offer that would have led to his pleading guilty if it meant the death penalty was off the table, but prosecutors declined that offer with the proclamation, "For James Eagan Holmes, justice is death."
Holmes was caught outside Aurora's Century 16 theater wearing body armor and a gas mask, allegedly to protect himself during the mass shooting. His nearby apartment later was discovered to have been booby trapped with explosives, requiring advanced robotic work by police to detonate the bombs. He has been charged with 24 counts of first-degree murder and 116 counts of attempted murder.
Although he has yet to plead insanity, it has been hinted that Holmes could do so; following the shooting, there were reports of his seeing a counselor at University of Colorado, and his lawyers have hinted at such a defense. They asked for the release of sealed documents that they said would reveal more about his mental state.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR