James Marsden in Early Talks to Replace Paul Walker in 'Best of Me'
Michelle Monaghan remains the female lead of Relativity's romance movie.
James Marsden is in early talks to step into the role originally held by Paul Walker in Relativity’s adaptation of the Nicholas Sparks novel The Best of Me.
This marks the second Walker project to find its new lead Thursday as the town gets back to work after its winter holiday break; Rupert Friend earlier in the day closed a deal to star in Agent 47 for Fox International.
Walker died in a car crash Nov. 30.
Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Marsden has the offer and is just beginning negotiations.
The Best of Me follows a pair of former high school sweethearts who reunite after many years when they both return to their small North Carolina hometown. The story tracks the couple both as adults and students and has Michelle Monaghan on board as the female star.
Michael Hoffman will direct the film, which is being produced by Ryan Kavanaugh, Theresa Park and Sparks.
Marsden is coming off appearances in last year's Anchorman 2, Lee Daniels' The Butler and 2 Guns.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Seth Meyers To Host 2014 Emmy Awards On August 25
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services