'James Murdoch Arrested' Tweet Taken Down by Sky News
The news channel believes its Twitter account may have been hacked.
LONDON -- After sending shockwaves through the social media sphere Saturday night, Sky News has taken down a tweet on @SkyNewsBiz reporting that James Murdoch had been arrested, saying the feed had most likely been hacked.
The tweet, which appeared at 11:16 p.m. London time, was re-tweeted multiple times and came just hours after press reports that Murdoch may face police questioning over a cache of new emails that have emerged - which are thought to contain damaging information.
Saying simply: "BREAKING: James Murdoch arrested over phone-hacking claims. Questioned at Paddington Green Station at 10pm," the post appeared on @SkyNewsBiz.
But the Sky News channel wasn't carrying the story in any form and within ten minutes the tweet was deleted.
"Sky News has no information to suggest that James Murdoch has been arrested and believe that the @SkyNewsBiz account has been hacked," Sky producer Neal Mann posted.
A spokeswoman from News International also said she had "no guidance" that any arrest had taken place.
Earlier reports in the London Daily Mail suggested that police investigating a new cache of emails may want to question James Murdoch and former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks on new evidence.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting