James Murdoch Could Oversee News Corp's. U.S. Television Business (Report)
UPDATED: Under a plan reportedly being considered, Peter Rice would report to Murdoch.
James Murdoch's role at News Corp. may soon expand, including responsibility over the Fox Networks Group, according to the Financial Times.
News Corp. declined to comment, but FT reported on Thursday that discussions are for plans that would have Peter Rice, the head of Fox Networks Group, report to Murdoch, who is deputy COO at News Corp.
According to FT, Murdoch wanted the expanded role announced in July, coinciding with Rice's promotion, but Rupert Murdoch, his father and the company's chairman, as well as COO Chase Carey, wanted to put it off until controversy died out in Europe.
Murdoch, of course, has been controversial due to his role as head of News Group Newspapers, which has been roiled by a phone-hacking scandal.
Murdoch, though, was recently cleared of wrongdoing -- while simultaneously being berated, though -- by Ofcom, the "independent regulator and competition authority for the U.K. communications industries."
"Conduct in relation to events at News Group Newspapers repeatedly fell short of the conduct to be expected of him as chief executive officer and chairman," Ofcom said in a report on whether British Sky Broadcasting is fit to hold a broadcasting license. BSkyB is 39.1 percent owned by News Corp.
But even while insluting the executive's leadership, Ofcom concluded that "evidence available to date does not provide reasonable basis to conclude that James Murdoch deliberately engaged in any wrongdoing."
News Corp. responded to the Ofcom report by writing, in part: "As Ofcom itself acknowledged, James deserves credit for his role as Chief Executive, then Chairman and now non-executive Director, in leading Sky to an outstanding record as a broadcaster, including its excellent compliance record."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack